Monday, July 6, 2009

Maybe I was a little quick to judge the ghetto-ness of Rome.  I saw a little more of it today when I made it out to the Vatican City.  There are some areas that fit the description, but some were pretty nice.  The Vatican City was a lot nicer.  For the amount of money the Vatican is sitting on it should be nothing but pristine.  Seeing the Sistine Chapel and all of the sculptures and tapestries was quite the experience.  It’s really incredible how many pieces of art the Vatican Museum holds and I only saw a sliver of it.  After making my way through the labyrinth of art filled hallways crammed with hot sweaty people I finally made it to the Sistine Chapel.  It was really something to be surrounded by such a massive artwork, that is so famous and that was done so long ago by such a talented group of hands.  It’s a fairly small area filled wall to wall with artwork and people.  While you’re in there you’re requested to be silent, but the request comes from an automated announcement that is 20 times louder than the entire crowd.  Then, every time it gets noticeably quieter , the staff has to yell a completely unenforceable command of “NOOOOO FOTO!……..NOOOOO FOTO!”.  Us be quiet?  No, YOU be quiet.  How can they expect a group of people to come into a room filled with such famous work and NOT talk about it?  No one was just shooting the breeze.  People were conversing about what a certain section was about, who was in it, how awesome it was, etc.  You are SUPPOSED to talk about art.  Especially something as massive/impressive/beautiful as the Sistine Chapel.  I behaved myself and didn’t take any pictures…for a while.  Then I noticed that just about every person around me was taking pictures and I kind of disappeared into the crowd anyway soooooo…..I took foto.  I can understand the whole “no flash” rule because supposedly after a bazillion flashes the paint will start to fade, but no pictures completely?  After a bus ride filled with gross guys smooshing themselves against me, walking through the Vatican City to get to the Museum, waiting in line and paying 14 Euros….I think I’ve earned a few pictures.  After that I made it back to the train station for my 3 hour train to Bologna.  The ride was gorgeous!  Italy is much greener and more mountainous than I expected.  I’m not sure what exactly I was expecting.  I have an actual hotel room tonight.  All to my little, lone-travelin’, self.  I don’t have to listen to any one breathe, snore, fart, pee, whatever.  Florence is only a few hours away so I’ll be sleeping in a little tomorrow.  For once I don’t have to wake up to someone else’s extra early alarm.   I can’t wait to sleep.  Alone.  Finally.   Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment