Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I’m in Florence tonight and tomorrow night.  I LOVE it.  It’s gorgeous and filled with art and music everywhere.  Even better, there is a gelato stand about every hundred yards.  I think I’m developing a gelato problem.  I can’t stop eating it.  It’s a good thing it’s expensive otherwise I’d come home weighing 300 lbs.  I think my kitchen will be a gelato factory for a while though.  So far I’ve tried pistachio, hazelnut, Grand Marnier, caramel, and peach.  Today.  I know, I know….I’m a pig, but I can’t stop.  It’s sooooooo good.  And it’s so hot out!  At least I’m walking it all off.  I walked all over Florence when I got in around 5.  I went to see the group of sculptures decorating the Palazzo Vecchio.  I also saw the Duomo and Battistero with the Gates of Paradise.  I saw a ton of stuff, but it was pretty much just me, wandering around, running into stuff.  I’ll be hitting the museums and Giardino di Boboli tomorrow and I’m sure I’ll run into a few dozen Basilicas on the way back.  I think I’ve said this before, but it’s so cool to finally be able to see the REAL pieces of art that I’ve had to memorize for so many tests.  I wish I retained all of the information I once knew about them all.  Some bits and pieces will com back when I see it, but I still know there is so much more that I really should remember.  I only got to see a little bit of Bologna.  The map I had was only a photocopy and the streets and sights were really hard to read and I only had a few hours, so I really couldn’t afford to get lost.  So I stuck to a decent radius of what was around the station.  It was pretty though.  Lots of orange roofs and yellow/orange buildings.  I wish I could have seen more of it. :o(  Next time.  I’m off to bed.  I haven’t added anything to my bag, but it feels like its getting heavier and heavier.  That, and everywhere I go seems to be up hill.  I think I’m going to buy a cheap rolling suitcase so I don’t throw my back out.  I hate the thought of having a stupid rolling suitcase when I’m supposed to be backpacking, but I’m sure my pride will survive.  Anyways, goodnight.  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment