Sunday, July 5, 2009

I took a day trip out to Pompeii today.  It was a 2 hour train from Rome to Naples and then another 45 minute train from Naples to Pompeii.  It was absolutely worth the trip.  The ruins were incredible.  That place must have been incredible before Vesuvius erupted.  The pieces of frescoes clinging to the walls were still beautiful.  Their walls (and streets, floors, fireplaces, etc.) were all done with extraordinary detail.  Some of the mosaics must have taken forever judging by the size of the pieces as well as how detailed it was.  And then there were the castings of the people they found.  It’s pretty crazy to see what people were doing in their final moments.  Their pottery collection was huge too.  It was really, really incredible to see all of this and wonder what this place must have looked like.   I accidentally got in for free too.  No, I don’t mean that I snuck in.  I walked to what I thought was the entrance, but it was the exit and I think the guy felt bad that I walked the whole way up to the wrong place so he told me to just go on in.  Sweeeeet.  Not only did I get to see something cool, I got to see it for free!  But, there was no getting away from the sweltering heat.  I forgot to bring my water bottle too, which will never happen again.  Lucky for me there are little watering stations all over the place in the ruins so I didn’t suffer too bad, but drinking water one handful at a time is a little aggravating.  I made it back to Rome with out any problems, and I’m about to go to sleep because I’m exhausted from walking in the sun all day.  G’night!  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment