Saturday, July 4, 2009

I made my way into Rome a little late, so a lot of stuff was closing, but I still got to see a few things.  The Colosseum for one.  It’s pretty huge.  It’s amazing the things they did with the technology they had.  I took a look around the area close to the Colosseum because that’s where the subway station was.  There were a bunch of old ruins that were pretty amazing.  Palatino, I think it was called.  There were a few sets of columns and meeting places, but I can’t remember all the names.  I’m excited to check out more on Monday before I head out to Bologna.  Tomorrow I’m taking a day trip out to Naples and Pompeii, which I’m really excited about!  I’ve always been fascinated with the stories of Pompeii so I can’t wait to actually SEE it.  I’m a little disappointed with Rome at the moment.  I think I had this really romanticized picture of Rome in my head.  Don’t get me wrong the, Colosseum and the ruins were indeed beautiful and I’m sure there’s many more beautiful things around the city, but Rome is in all honesty is pretty ghetto.  Not horrible ghetto, but definitely not what I had pictured in my head.  There is graffiti EVERYWHERE.  Which can be cool, I like graffiti and it’s actually kind of neat to see every single subway car covered in it. (I actually DO like it, I’m not being a smart-ass) .  But at the same time I think of the grandeur of the monuments all over the city and the city itself it not up to par.  Not by a long shot.  Maybe my mind will change when I see more of the city.  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment